These are some notes from chapters 2 & 3 of Public Relations Strategies and Tactics 9th edition .
Chapter 2 “The evolution of Public Relations”
- “…Rosetta Stone, which provided the key to modern understanding of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, was basically a publicity release touting the pharaoh’s accomplishments” (40).
- Something I don’t know if I agree with but worth noting…”Saint Paul, the New Testament’s most prolific author, also qualifies for the public relations hall of fame” (40).
- Teddy Roosevelt …”was the first president to make extensive use of news conferences and press interviews to drum up public support when Congress was often critical or non supportive” (48).
- “…Edward L. Bernays who, through brilliant campaigns and extensive self-promotion, became known as the “father of modern public relations” by the time of his death in 1995 at the age of 103” (52).
Chapter 3 “Ethics and Professionalism”
- The Public relations Society of America
- The International Association of Business Communicators
- The International Public Relations Association
- PRSA’s Code of Ethics
Advocacy, Honesty, Expertise, Independence, Loyalty, Fairness (78).